Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Austenland

Cute, but the movie is better.

I picked up Austenland for the first time shortly before seeing the film. It was a cute, light romance story, perfect for fans of Pride and Prejudice.

Then the movie came out.

This movie is one of the most adorable movies I have ever seen in my entire life. It was funny at times, with those “aw so cute moments” and the soundtrack was just amazing. Like the book it was based off of, it centers around a girl named Jane. Jane is a girl in her thirties that is obsessed, and I mean obsessed with anything written by Jane Austen. Especially Pride and Prejudice. She is so wrapped up in the idea of being content with her own “Mr. Darcy” that she falls in love with any man who ever shows even a remote interest in her. {Side note: The book did a better job of telling about her past boyfriends than the movie did, but that was really the only part of the book I liked better.} Because of this, her heart gets broken repeatedly, because “apparently the only good men are fictional.”

Jane Hayes: Speaking the minds of all fangirls everywhere.

So- realizing that this obsession over boys and Mr. Darcy needs to stop, Jane decides she will have ONE last trip to fantasize that she is in love, and then she will give it all up. {In the book, her aunt provides the trip, and in the movie, she pays for it herself.} What would be a more perfect trip than going to Austenland?

Austenland is kind of like a Jane Austen theme park in England. {It is not a real place, I looked it up. I know, so sad.} When Jane goes there, she is whisked into a world of dresses, card games, and romance. Actors are paid to give her a romance that is only present in books- and she loves feeling adored, even if it’s fake. But when things keep happening, she wonders where the line is drawn between fiction and fantasy. Is she falling in love with a perfect stranger, and is he falling in love back? Even if he isn’t the one scripted for her?

So freaking cute.

If you have not read this book, I suggest you pick it up. Like now. I wasn’t huge into romance novels until I read this book. If you look up “adorable books” in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Austenland there. I’m serious. Pick it up and go check if you don’t believe me.

Because- two words:

Mr. Nobly.


Ah, he was everything boys should be. GENTLEMANLY. My number one pet peeve in life is when boys don’t open the doors for girls. If I see a girl opening a door for a boy and he doesn’t take it for her, it bugs me immensely. I could go off on a rant about this all day. But seriously, Mr. Nobly is a-do-r-a-b-le. And yes, I just made adorable a six syllable word. He’s one of those people who says things that make you feel like you’re the prettiest girl in the world (even though he is fictional and NOT talking to you.)

For example:

“I need to admit up front that I don't know how to have a fling. I'm not good at playing around and then saying good-bye. I'm throwing myself at your feet because I'm hoping for a shot at forever."

And just like all girls, Jane becomes super awkward in situations with cute guys.

“What are you doing?"
"Ya!" said Jane, whirling around, her hands held up menacingly.
It was Mr. Nobley with coat, hat, and cane, watching her with wide eyes. Jane took several quick (but oh so casual) steps away from Martin's window.
"Um, did I just say, 'Ya'?"
"You just said 'Ya,'" he confirmed. "If I am not mistaken, it was a battle cry, warning that you were about to attack me.
I, uh..." She stopped to laugh. "I wasn't aware until this precise and awkward moment that when startled in a startled in a strange place, my instincts would have me pretend to be a ninja.”

And so in closing, I would like to say: Read the book, and watch the movie right after. Or vice versa. Whatever suits you.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...