Thursday, February 5, 2015

This Shattered World

This Shattered World

Finally, a book review- and I am really sorry that it has taken me so long to do so! 

This is the second book in the StarBound series and is written by writers Aimee Kaufman and Megan Spooner. Usually I don’t really like it when two authors co-write something, but these two pull it off really well. It is a sequel to These Broken Stars; but this review will not contain any spoilers for that book- so if you haven’t read it, that is totally fine.

This book is basically a futuristic forbidden romance. Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac are sworn enemies- she is a commanding soldier with the task of suppressing the rebels, and he is a spokesman for the resistance parties. In an effort to persuade peace with the two sides, Flynn kidnaps Jubilee to try and get her to see the rebels side of things. But this takes an unexpected turn as they both find out that their planet has been hiding many secrets. As they come closer and closer to unraveling the mysteries; they find more shocking truths. What is really the cause behind the Fury plaguing the civilians minds? What are the feelings developing between them? Soon they will be faced with the unavoidable decision: to sacrifice the ones they love, or send their home into darkness. Which will they choose?

And now that we have that out of the way, since I really suck at writing summaries, on to the actual review. I loved Lilac and Tarver in the previous book, (and they were actually mentioned and used in a few scenes!!!) but Jubilee and Flynn are just… mmm. I love her sassiness and how he is so absolutely chill about everything. What I really loved about their relationship is that you are always left wondering if they actually have feelings for one another. And I believe that this is actually a more believable relationship than the typical “I-am-going-to-throw-myself-all-over-you-but-I-don’t-actually-love-you-“ relationship. Plus, she beat him up a few times, and she stabbed him with one of those pink umbrella toothpick things.

You. Go. Girl. 

Despite the fact that I loved their relationship (at most times) I couldn’t ignore the fact that the plot was very unconvincing. If I expressed any of my frustrations there would definitely be some spoilers; so just believe me when I tell you- don’t look too hard into the actual depth and structure of the plot, I would just read this one for fun. It did take me a while to finish, which says something to the effect of- it couldn’t keep my interest for very long, but hey, that’s okay, not every book is perfect.

Final Verdict: This definitely was not my favorite book ever, and I did not really enjoy the actual plot. I was mostly reading it for Jubilee and Flynn’s relationship, and I am not ashamed of that. Those of you in the male gender would probably not enjoy this book too much- unless you are a fan of all the romance jazz.

I’m sorry this review is so short (and possibly confusing) but I think I have finally come out of my four month reading hiatus and that means more reviews, more often!


Love you all, goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...